The Capital Impact Fund was established to raise money designated to providing resources to organizations that help provide access to the game of hockey. By focusing on eliminating cost barriers, the goal is to ensure that anyone who wants to play, watch, teach, officiate, or otherwise engage with the sport of hockey can. The objective is to access in all forms and will concentrate, but not be limited to equipment, ice time, school programs, program fees, and access to the game.
Fundraising has begun. Initially, the Capitals will identify organizations that will benefit from the fund with the goal of eventually moving to an application process for grants.
How far does your donation go? Below is an explanation of the typical costs of accessing the game of hockey.
Playing the game
- USA Hockey Membership and Affiliate Fee: $20 - $80 per season (for one player)
- Average Ice Time Cost: $500 per hour
- Future Caps Learn to Play Program: $249 - $349 (depending on rink)
- Program includes full equipment and 8 classes of lessons.
- Program Fees: $500 - $5,000 (depending on program)
- Street Hockey Stick & Ball: $15
- Street Hockey Set: $40
- 2 sticks, 1 net, 1 ball, 1 puck
Coaching the Game
- USA Hockey Membership: $54 per season (for one coach)
- USA Hockey Coaching Certification: $50 - $500 depending on level